Four Significant Ways to Prevent Water Damage
Water Damage in Hampton
The Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety reminds us that those annoying leaky faucets if left unchecked and unfixed, could cost thousands of dollars in damage. USAA suggests (4) significant ways to prevent water damage.
- Inspect Your Attic Leaky Roofs are the #1 leading cause of water damage. Musty smells, water stains on the ceiling or floor, missing shingles or damp insulation.
- Check Your Bathroom from cracked or missing caulk around tub, sinks, and toilets. Water damage from one toilet can cost $2,000-10,000.
- Keep Your Kitchen Dry by checking your refrigerator ice maker & dishwasher supply lines for kinks or cracks. Check under the dishwasher for water. Vacuum the coils on your frig every 6 months. Proper maintenance can help your fridge to last 13 years.
- Watch Over Your Utility Room as 75% of water heaters fail before they're 12 years old and check your washer for leaks, cracks & bulges. Replace supply lines every 5 years with steel braided hose.
Every water damage situation is different and requires a unique solution, but the Water Damage Restoration Process stays the same.
Have Water or Flood Damage in Hampton? Call us Today- 757-825-9700 #AlwaysHereToHelp #LikeItNeverEvenHappened #WaterDamageInHampton
Commercial Water Damage in Hampton
Commercial Water Damage in Hampton
Flooding and water damage can strike your Hampton commercial property at any time. Water damage can sideline your business, regardless if the damage occurs from a major storm event or a broken water line.
At SERVPRO of Hampton North, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. In many instances, normal operation can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Commercial Water Restoration Presents Unique Challenges
SERVPRO of Hampton North professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore while working within your budget line.
Our staff are Highly Trained Restoration Specialists trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO's corporate training facility to regular IICRC industry certification, rest assured that our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Remember, when you have an emergency water event in Hampton, our Professionals offer fast, 24 hour emergency services, 365 days per year. 757-825-9700
Commercial Water Damage Restoration Facts
Commercial Water Damage in Hampton
In the restoration industry, there is more than meets the eye when it comes to water and the havoc it can wreak.
Water Restoration Facts
- A sheet of drywall standing upright in 1/2" of water can absorb as much as 6 inches in less than 3 hours.
- Water is known as a "universal solvent" because it dissolves more substances than any other liquid.
- Mold typically begins to grow within 24 to 48 hours in an untreated, moist environment.
- A puddle of water around a water heater indicates a slow leak, or rusted or corroded fittings. Act quickly as water heaters are under a great deal of water pressure.
Water Contamination Categories in the Restoration Industry
- Category One-Water from a clean source that poses no risk of sickness or discomfort such as from an overflowing bathtub or from a broken water supply pipe.
- Category Two-Water that has a significant degree of chemical, biological and/or physical contamination such as water from a dishwasher or washer, or aquarium leak or discharged Category One water that sits untreated for more than 24 hours becomes a Category Two.
- Category Three- Water coming from a grossly unsanitary source or carrying disease causing agents such as releases from septic systems and flood waters or discharged Category One water that sits for more than 48 hours becomes Category Three, or discharged Category Two water that sits for more than 24 hours becomes Category Three.
The use of chemical agents that act as biocides may be used when there is a need to control or destroy pathogenic microorganisms during a restoration project. The EPA defines three levels of biocidal activity:
- Sanitizers which are designed to reduce the number of microorganisms
- Disinfectants which are designed to destroy or inhibit the growth, but not necessarily the spores.
- Sterilizers which are designed to destroy all microorganisms and their spores, such as mold, bacteria, viruses, etc.
Have Commercial Water Damage Questions? Call 757-825-9700
A Fire Loss Estimate In Hampton
Kitchen Fire Loss in Hampton
The fire trucks are gone and now your Hampton home and belongings are likely suffering from not only fire and smoke damage, but also extensive water damage from the firefighting efforts. The restoration of your home and estimation of your fire loss begins when you call your local SERVPRO of Hampton North.
Our SERVPRO Professionals in Electronics, Structure, and Contents Restoration arrive to conduct pretests, while inspecting the property to determine the extent of fire damage and the scope of needed cleaning, restoration, and repairs. These professional experts need to identify and consider the following and are only few to mention:
- The materials, and items affected by smoke or fire and the proper method for cleaning;
- If your personal belongings need to be relocated while your house is being restored
- The areas that were not affected by soot and odor and protect those areas as soon as possible to avoid contamination
- If the smoke residues are cleanable
- Conduct a complete inventory of items that are damaged beyond repair as a complete inventory is invaluable
- The amount of time needed to perform the cleanup with the most effective cleaning methods
Once the fire damage mitigation begins, you will be kept informed and your questions will be answered throughout the process. #AlwaysHereToHelp
Need an estimate for fire damage? Call our office at (757)-825-9700
Emergency Ready Plan in Hampton
Our App is a No-Cost Readiness Plan for your Hampton Home or Business
Be Emergency Ready Hampton! Our app is a no-cost readiness plan that places your ready plan data on your mobile device for quick access during an emergency. Download the Free App
The SERVPRO® Ready Plan is a tool for property managers and owners, both residential and commercial.
It allows for the creation of an Emergency READY Profile. By developing a SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile for your Hampton home or business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action.
Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your home or business.
Commercial Storm Damage Restoration in Hampton
Storms and inclement weather can bring wind damage, heavy rain, and flooding that can devastate any business in a matter of minutes.
Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
Want a Free Business Assessment? Call Us Today 757-825-9700
Spring Wildfire Season is Here. . . Are you Prepared Hampton?
SERVPRO of Hampton North, 757-825-9700
Spring wildfire season is here . . . are you prepared?
February 15th was the start of the spring wildfire season in the commonwealth. The Virginia Department of Forestry says that we are in good share for the beginning of the season thanks to the rain helping to add moisture to the fire fuels, like dry grass, straw and leaves, the biggest fuels for wildfires.
The Department also reminds us that the outdoor burning law went into effect on the 15th, meaning you have to wait to burn till after 4:00 p.m. and if it’s windy, or dry outside, postpone the burning. Read more
Our friends at Allstate say that the best defense is to be prepared and offer these steps that you can take to prepare your family property and home.
- Determine your risk level and then create a ring of three defensible fire zones around your home.
- Build a disaster preparedness kit with water, food, dust masks, a first-aid kit and other essentials.
- Create a family communication plan, plan an evac route and follow it immediately if an evacuation is ordered.
Fire damage can be devastating for you and your family. SERVPRO of Hampton North will provide you with caring and expert guidance through the crisis. Please refer to our Fire Damage Tips-Until Help Arrives Guide and follow these tips to protect yourself and your property.
Mold. . . Don't Let It Grow!
Mold Damage Cleaning by SERVPRO of Hampton North
MOLD. . . DON’T LET IT GROW!
SERVPRO of Hampton North suggests that property owners and managers take precautions and address water intrusions such as leaks, storm damage and equipment failure immediately. Mold is more likely to spread when an environment has been subjected to moisture for a good period.
Did you know that during summer and hot weather, air conditioning can de-humidity indoor space? However, if the system is too large or too small for the space it serves, the cooling system can create high humidity by cooling without removing water vapor. A properly sized and maintained system will dehumidify and cool a home.
Proactive Mold Preventative Measures
- Inspect dwelling for any evidence of past moisture problems or leaks, i.e. behind refrigerator, under sinks, around toilets, laundry room, crawl space & attic, baseboards, window frames, door frames, ceiling tiles
- Address strong musty odors which may indicate the presence of mold
- Make sure appliances that produce moisture such as clothes dryers and stoves are properly vented to the outside
- Make sure bathrooms are properly ventilated
- Clean and/or repair gutters and assure that the water flow from downspouts is directed away from your foundation
- Inspect the roof annually and after severe weather
- Check the attic regularly for leaks
- Inspect and clean air ducts and HVAC annually and make sure HVAC drip pans are clean and flow properly & check vents and filters
SERVPRO of Hampton North is dedicated to responding immediately when you contact us. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces cost.
For more information contact Missy Burns at 252-573-0182
Yellow Mold in Your Hampton Home
Mold Cleanup in Hampton, Virginia
Why is there yellow mold growing in your home? Where did it come from, and what do you need to do about it?
What we do know is that mold grows in damp areas like bathrooms, around leaky plumbing, around leaky window frames, in damp basements, or in attics with a leaky roof. Did you know that mold comes in different colors too? Yep, mold can be yellow, white, brown, green, and of course black.
Special care needs to be taken to remove mold even for what may seem to be a simple task. Mold spores spread easily and can become airborne, scattering to other areas of your home, making the mold problem even worse. Even worse, those mold spores when inhaled can cause serious health risks such as an itchy rash, wheezing, and sore throats.
In as little as 48 hours, mold can quickly become a problem in your home or business when there’s a water intrusion, like a roof leak or leaking water line. In addition to health risks, mold can cause property damage.
SERVPRO of Hampton North has the training, protective gear, and specialized equipment necessary to handle your mold problem.
Have a Mold Problem?
Call Us Today – (757) 825-9700
Free Air Duct Inspection in Hampton
SERVPRO Hampton North, 757-825-9700
SERVPRO of Hampton North offers a FREE Residential or Commercial Air Duct System Inspection. Now you have a reason to add an air duct inspection to your Spring cleaning to do list.
The excitement of warm weather seems to encourage us to want to clean. SERVPRO remediation specialists suggests adding heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) maintenance to prepare for the warmer weather to come. SERVPRO Industries, CEO, Sue Steen suggests the maintenance will help your HVAC work at its maximum efficiency and quite possibly reveal a problem that you might need to address sooner than later.
Ventilation systems are often the biggest culprit in poor indoor air quality. Make it a priority to inspect the ductwork of your home or business
If your HVAC has been operating for some time without attention, it could be circulating one or more of the following:
- Dirt and debris
- Other contaminants
SERVPRO of Hampton North and our air duct cleaning services can help keep your air duct system clean and help extend the life of your equipment. This can in turn save you money and give you cleaner air to breathe.
CALL AND ASK FOR YOUR FREE AIR DUCT INSPECTION AT 757-825-9700
Vacation Rental Safety
SERVPRO Hampton North, 757-825-9700
How do you know if a vacation rental property is safe for your family? Popular home rentals websites indicate that they are not responsible for the condition of the property. So it's up to you to keep your family safe.
Vacation Rental Dangers and three things you should do the moment you walk in the door.
1. Go find the water heater. Be sure to look in the basement or a closet.
2. Install your compact carbon monoxide, battery operated detector right outside the room between the water heater and the furnace.
2. Locate the fire extinguisher, and be familiar with how to operate it and remember where it's located.
3. Plan a fire escape and locate all of the exits and the smoke alarms.
According to the CDC (Center for Disease Control) more than 400 people die from accidental Carbon Monoxide poisoning. #SilentKiller Tips to make sure your rental home is safe from fire and carbon monoxide.
Home rental vacationers are also vulnerable to fires. Before you arrive, you should ask the homeowner where the fire extinguishers are located. You and your family should know where all of the exits are located too.
SERVPRO of Hampton North #AlwaysHereToHelp