Signs That You Might Need A New Water Heater
When SERVPRO® of Hampton North gets an emergency water damage call because a water heater leaked, we know there is attic and ceiling damage or flooring damage. Here are some signs that you might need a new water heater and ways to find out if you do. These may require a little periodic checking while others become obvious only after things have gone wrong.
- The water is not getting hot enough.
- The water is not getting hot at all. It could be that the pilot light is out, or the circuit breaker has been tripped, or worse the whole heating system is shot.
- The water is a rusty color or not clear running.
- The water has a strange metallic taste, which could mean that the inside of the tank is breaking down.
- The water heater is making loud popping and cracking noises that could mean the heating element is failing.
- There are signs of leakage around the water heater which indicates a major internal failure to the system. Make sure that the electricity or gas has been turned off to the system and that before replacing it, the unit has had a chance to cool completely.
We suggest that you hire a professional to replace and install your new water heater. This is to be certain that the installation meets safety codes and is safe to use.
Water damage cleanup in Hampton? Call 757-825-9700.